The student news site of Westerly High School
Back to Article
Back to Article

Left vs Right 10/16

Left vs Right 10/16

Immigration

October 16, 2015

The Left on Immigration

Election season is fast approaching, and along with it comes the rehashing of the major problems which face the United States. As always one the most debated and discussed topics is that of illegal immigration.

Many citizens of the United States believe undocumented immigrants cause great harm to this country and its people, when in reality the opposite is often true.

A common misconception about undocumented immigrants is that the number of them is increasing. Donald Trump, a GOP presidential candidate, recently claimed the number of undocumented immigrants in the United States was at least 30 million.

In reality, the number of undocumented immigrants has slowly decreased over the past decade. It was estimated 11.4 million undocumented immigrants were living in the United States in 2012. This number had fallen from the estimated 12 million in 2007.

Undocumented immigrants are not stealing from the United States government either. A recent study by the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy found that undocumented immigrants pay 11.8 billion dollars in taxes yearly.

Mathew Gardner, executive director of ITEP claimed, “Undocumented immigrants already are paying billions in taxes to state and local governments, and if they are allowed to work in the country legally, their state and local tax contributions will increase significantly.” Even though they are not citizens, undocumented immigrants pay billions of dollars in taxes towards programs which mainly assist legal citizens.

Often times, the most prominent arguments against undocumented immigrants involve jobs and unemployment. Many people believe undocumented immigrants will take jobs away from hard working legal citizens, but this has been proven false time and time again.

In 2011 Georgia passed House Bill 87. This bill allowed the state to enforce very strict immigration laws which would decrease the number of undocumented workers to almost none.

Proponents of the bill hoped it would open up for legal citizens and boost the economy, but the opposite occurred. All throughout Georgia, there were major labor shortages, especially in agriculture.

Theses shortages in labor ended up causing an estimated $140 million in agricultural losses. Undocumented immigrants lost their jobs, farm owners and other workers lost money, and the people of Georgia ended up having to pay more for their food.

This is not just an issue in Georgia either. The majority of farm workers are undocumented immigrants.

Out of the one million farm workers in the United States, 85% of them are immigrants and 70% are undocumented. The simple fact is native born American citizens will almost never do farm work.

In 2010 this was proven again when the United Farm Workers launched the Take Our Jobs campaign. The campaign offered for legal citizens of the United States to take the job of an undocumented worker.

Less than six months after the start over 3 million people had visited the website, but only seven had actually followed through and taken a job as a farm worker.

It is problematic to say undocumented workers are taking jobs when only seven Americans took up the offer in a time where the unemployment rate was almost ten percent. Undocumented workers do the work which natural born citizens refuse which in turn boosts the economy.

In a perfect world, there would be no illegal immigration; anyone willing to work would be able to obtain legal citizenship and be a productive member of society. This is the ideal this country was founded on and the ideal, which led it to being one of the most powerful countries in the world.

Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world. The problem is undocumented immigrants cannot always become legal citizens. According to the American Immigration Council 98% percent of them would prefer to be a legal citizen if they had the ability to.

The vast majority of undocumented workers wish to be productive members of society; they don’t want to take jobs from other citizens, they don’t want to steal money from the government, and they don’t want to harm other people.

It is this fact that makes me wonder why people like Donald Trump want to remove all undocumented immigrants. There is zero rationale behind deporting a large group of people who are in the United States to work, and make the country better than before.

Instead of looking for ways to “solve” the illegal immigration problem in this country, politicians should be exploring measures to make sure the people who want to work, and be a productive member of the United States, have the ability to do so.