Stay Stress-Free for this Year’s Mid-Terms

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior, Josiah Kirk, studies for accounting midterm

Brandon Perron

Brandon Perron

Brandon Perron

Brandon Perrone, Staff Reporter

With midterm exams beginning on Thursday January 24th, many students become stressed out about the extensive tests they’ll be taking and the impact they will have on their grades. It is important to keep in mind that, according to the WHS handbook located in the front of the planner, midterm and final exams only count for 12% of your grade. But this doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try! If you find yourself stressing out over midterms, keep these tips in mind.

The most generic piece of advice for midterm preparation is to get enough sleep. According to the Sleep Association, a teenager’s goal for hours of sleep should be 8-10. Don’t stay up until the late hours of the night the day before midterms, because it may be hard to focus on the long tests the next day. Make sure to get a good night’s sleep before your big tests.

Some classes like math and science may allow the use of a notecard or reference sheet. If your teacher lets you use one, make one! If you have a notecard or reference sheet it can relax you because you have a resource if you can’t remember something. Many students don’t fill out their notecards and they could have gotten better grades if they had.

Teachers also give out study guides for exams. It is crucial you fill them out because sometimes the exam is exactly like the study guide but with the numbers or answers changed. Just like practice for sports, a study guide helps you prepare for the main event. Studying in general is an important part of the midterm process so you know the content and aren’t surprised when the test is handed out to you.

Like I said before, midterms don’t affect your grade much if you do well, maybe your grade could go up one or two points. If you do poorly, on the other hand, your grade could plummet to the ground. If you follow these tips, I can’t guarantee you’ll do better, but I can say from experience they do help. Doing well on your midterms will start you off on the right foot for second semester and put you on a good track for the rest of the year.