The Barker

Rally Day Set a Winning Mood

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rally Day Set a Winning Mood

Alex Celico, Staff Reporter

On November 21, 2018, the entire school filled the Federico Gymnasium to celebrate the 100th Turkey Day game against the Stonington Bears. The rally brought an amazing amount of positive energy and unity to the students at WHS. It not only marked the 100th game against the Bears, but it also marked Mr. Hobin’s first Turkey Day rally as WHS’ new principal.

Marissa Berardo

“I am so excited that I am able see and hear all this energy today. I wish we could have this [energy] everyday; it is so powerful and can unite the school together, especially on rally day,” Principal Hobin said in an interview before the rally started. He explained that he could not wait to get the rally and game underway.

The Turkey Day game celebrates the famous rivalry against the Westerly Bulldogs and the Stonington Bears. The Westerly and Stonington rivalry, since 1911, is one of the oldest rivalries in the country.

Some Westerly High School students commented about the rally and the Turkey Day game.

Marissa Berardo

Sophomore Abby Casey rated last year’s rally on a scale of 1-10 as an 8. She said, “I hope [the rally and game] provide a fun opportunity for the school to come together and show their team spirit.” She hoped this year’s rally would give the freshmen an opportunity to see just how great WHS is.

And the rally succeeded in this. Freshmen Lainey Corina said, “I think these rallies are so big because everyone is excited to hang out with their friends and watch their friends perform. I am very excited.” Nick Cozzolino agreed. “I thought the rally was really cool because I got to see all my friends and get a look at the people who were playing the game before they win,” he said.

The Freshman class was extremely excited to participate in their first rally. Jessica Paterno remarked on the size of the rally and degree of unity it created. “These rallies are probably so big because it’s an opportunity for everyone to get together with friends, and as an extension, for the entire school to come together united,” she said.

Alissa Quattromani also agreed with Paterno, “There were so many students and staff and there were so many kids who participated in these school activities. I am very excited that I got to participate in my very first Westerly High School rally. It felt amazing to be a part of. It is great that there will be many more years to come as we celebrate Turkey Day.”

Principal Hobin was correct; the energy at the rally was immense. As Junior Marissa Berardo stated, “I’m excited to see how Mr. Hobin reacts to the overall animation and unity of our student body. Spirit week has a very unique atmosphere, and it is always uplifting to see everyone laugh, cheer, and unite to support the same cause.”

The emcees were great and the amount of work put into the rally to make it big, bright, and beautiful seemed really appreciated.

The dance line and band’s rendition of The Lion King medley captivated the audience.

Marissa Berardo

The cheerleaders “rocked the house” with their dances and chants, further increasing the energy.

Marissa Berardo

With special guest stars like WPS Superintendent Dr. Garceau, Principal Hobin, and Coach Maranda, the rally was a big hit this year.

Marissa Berardo

The band played a large role in bringing this energy to the school’s rally. Maxwell Palmer, a Freshman and member on the drum-line in the band, explained, “I’m excited to see everyone react to the music and get everyone pumped up for the big game against Stonington on Thanksgiving. The drum-line brings the beat to rally which will set the mood for Westerly’s big win tomorrow.”

Lastly, the graduating seniors were saddened at the fact that they will have to leave the rallies behind. Tristan Turano, a superstar on the football team this year, presented a heartfelt speech about his many years of playing football.

Marissa Berardo

This rally certainly will go down as one for the ages.

Alex Celico, Staff Reporter, Barker Broadcast Reporter

Alex is very happy to be part of The Barker!  He's an actor and singer who also likes to write.

Marissa Berardo, Editor-in-Chief, Barker Broadcast Executive Producer

As a junior, this is my third year writing for The Barker. In addition, I am a VFW Auxiliary member and Board Member of the Westerly Armory.

Staff Reporter...