The Barker

Red Sox Win!

Red Sox beat LA in five games to add to Boston's sports dominance

Back to Article
Back to Article

Red Sox Win!

Andrew Fiore, Staff Reporter

Steve Pearce finished his AL East tour with a ring and a World Series MVP trophy. The slugger has been on seven teams, including each of the teams in the division, and was traded from Toronto in June. It looks like he finally found his home. Pearce hit 3 home runs, two of which were in the clinching Game 5 and batted in 8 runs, with four coming off of a bases-clearing double to break the pivotal Game 4 wide open. Pearce was the first player acquired through a mid-season trade to win the World Series MVP since Donn Clendenon of the 1969 Mets.

Pearce was not the only hero. JD Martinez, a struggling Astros slugger turned home run machine, and Mookie Betts, the homegrown phenomenon, are both strong AL MVP candidates. Chris Sale has been lights out all season, and David Price has finally found his playoff groove. The previously struggling bullpen stepped up, and clutch hitting was supplied by Jackie Bradley Jr. and Andrew Benintendi.

There has been talk that this may be the greatest team of all time. They tore through the AL East with a franchise record 108 wins. They easily passed the star-studded Yankees and the defending champion Astros, both of which had over 100 wins and some of the best players in baseball. Finally they met the Dodgers. By the time they were finished, they had humiliated the team that had won 7 consecutive NL West titles and 2 straight National League pennants.

Greatest of all time or not, this team will live on in the hearts of many. The tight knit squad won the team’s 4th World Series in the last 15 years, and solidified Boston’s reign as the city of champions. They did damage.

Andrew Fiore, Staff Reporter

I am a sophomore, and I am extremely excited to work on the staff of The Barker!  I have a love of sports, and I am good at writing, so this experience...