VAASA’s Mission at WHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

VAASA’s Mission at WHS

Courtesy of News24

Courtesy of News24

Courtesy of News24

Courtesy of News24

Alex Celico, Staff Reporter

Here’s the question going around Westerly High School: What exactly is VAASA?

VAASA (Varsity Athletes Against Substance Abuse) local and national club for varsity athletes to come together and pledge to stay substance-free all four years of their high school career.

Members of VAASA show leadership by staying drug and alcohol-free while educating younger students and peers.

Carly McGill, Junior Officer of VAASA, stated, “We get together and speak to parents at the middle school to explain where kids might be hiding illegal substances or signs that their children are using.”The parents of middle school students not only learn about the dangers of illegal substances but also about how to check in with their children about these dangers.

“We also speak directly to the students at the middle school by sharing our stories and explaining that you can get through high school and have fun while remaining substance free,” McGill explained. “This year, we will hopefully have an assembly at the high school mimicking [what happens when] driving intoxicated.”

Each year, there is a statewide VAASA conference for members to gain more knowledge about the dangers of substance abuse. They learn how to stay away from illegal drugs and bond with other students across Rhode Island who have been striving for the same goal: stay substance free and have fun throughout their high school years. “Last year at the conference, we did activities that helped us see how we could get ourselves out of certain dangerous situations that revolve around substance abuse and how to help those around us do the same thing. We also did bonding activities with our own school and kids from other schools.” McGill stated about the VAASA conference last year.

WHS athletes can get involved by obtaining an application form Ms. Waranis in the guidance department. Applicants are interviewed by the President, Zach Menard, and Vice-President, Adrianna Turano, of VAASA.