The Sophomore Social Action Class Enters its Third Year at WHS

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Barnhart is excited for her third year teaching Social Action 123

Brandon Perrone, Staff Reporter

Social justice and social action have been a part of the United States since its inception in 1776. The First Amendment grants Americans many privileges that others countries across the globe do not have, which allows its citizens to make a real difference in their communities and the country as a whole.

English teacher, Anne Barnhart, has been teaching Sophomores for Social Action 123 for the past two years, this being the third year the class has run. She described it as “having all the same skills taught as a regular sophomore English class but with a lens of social justice and social action. The mechanism is inquiry, and it is project based.”

Currently, her students are reading Sherman Alexie’s novel The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, which is teaching them about the struggles of the Native American population of the United States. This will culminate in a visit to a Native American museum where the students will interact with individuals of Native American heritage and be able to experience one-on-one interactions that further build their understanding of this group of people.

Last year, one of the most important social issues was gun violence in schools. With the Marjory-Stoneman Douglas shooting, Barnhart’s students decided to take action. They worked with a professor at CCRI whose focus was to get guns off the streets, and one of them even got their work in a display at the CCRI gallery. Her students were also involved in the student walkout that occurred during the 2017-18 school year to speak out against gun violence.

Barnhart said the most important thing about her class was equity and giving people a voice. Many students have outside knowledge and interests and concerns, and this class gives them a voice and a platform to make a real difference.