Westerly Girl’s Score Soccer Victory at Piver Cup Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adrianna Turano, Staff Reporter

On the 8th and 15th of September, Stonington hosted the second annual Piver Cup Tournament.

This tournament was created last year in memory of Josh Piver; a Stonington graduate and former soccer goalkeeper who was tragically killed in the 9/11 attacks on the Twin Towers. Westerly was ecstatic to honor Josh Piver by participating in this tournament.

Macie Woycik, captain and goalkeeper for the Westerly High School girls soccer team elaborates, “Going into the first game we were playing Stonington, which we were all really excited about because they are our rivals”. Throughout the game, the competition was back and forth, but finally, at the 99th minute of the game, Senior Abbey Keegan passed the ball to Junior Sydney Federico. Then crossed to Skye Byrne for the goal, Bulldogs win the game.

Westerly moved on to play Tiverton in the second game. Woycik reveals it was the best game of soccer the team has played.

The game spirited and intense with all players active on the field. Federico scored the first goal, followed by Keegan scoring the final goal of the night.

The Westerly girls proved themselves once again through teamwork, communication, and dedication ultimately being victorious in their games during the Piver tournament. With a good start of the season, Westerly girls should persist with triumph throughout 2018.