Meet the New AP

Back to Article
Back to Article

Meet the New AP

New AP Mr. Cronin helps with the latest fire drill

Andrew Fiore, Staff Reporter

Westerly High School has a new assistant principal, Mr. Kevin Cronin.

Mr. Cronin is no stranger to education. He began teaching right after college and spent twelve years in the classroom before getting Masters degrees in Curriculum and Administration. He then worked in a high school for ten years before coming to the Westerly Middle School.

After his two years there, he came up the road to his current job here at WHS. “I like being in the same town that I live in, that was something that I missed when I was not working in town because I felt like there was a disconnect.” He said that he enjoys the town connection that we have here. “I have also enjoyed the amount of opportunities that kids have in Westerly in terms of their education and what they can pursue.”

One focus of the incoming administration is changing the culture and motivating the students. “We don’t want to have kids with a feeling in the pit of their stomach that they don’t want to go to school. We look at culture a lot and trying to be a place for everybody, where everybody is engaged and everybody is able to pursue their education in a safe and respectful place.”

Mr. Hobin describes himself as “somebody who is reliable, someone who students can count on, someone who they can trust, someone they can go to, and I’ll always try to make the best out of a situation.” He explained that he is a resource that will advocate for the students, but they must be held accountable.

When asked what he thinks is the biggest challenge facing the school, he explained that he has been busy getting used to the school. After all, he does have 800 students to meet. Besides that though, most of his responsibilities are the same as they were at WMS, so most of the transition has been easy for him.

Since he was a child , Mr. Cronin has always believed that one should always try to improve his or her circumstances. “I always want to leave a place in a better situation than what I entered in,” he stated. With his positive attitude and good leadership skill, Mr. Cronin is ready to lead the school in the right direction.