The Barker

Night School a Predictable but Funny Movie

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mike Fiore, Junior

The movie Night School directed by Malcolm D. Lee is a comedy movie about a high school dropout trying to get his GED by attending night school.

This film was created by Universal Studios and it included the actors, Kevin Hart, Tiffany Haddish, Rob Riggle, and many other big names.

This movie’s plot was not very deep, and it wasn’t one of the best films I have ever viewed.

Yes, it made me laugh, and it does represent a proper comedy movie; however, with such a shallow plot it wasn’t a movie I’d say is a must see.

I would rate it a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

I would give it this rating because it was a very funny comedy film that made me and the audience laugh but wasn’t anything too special. It would receive a higher rating from me if the plot was just a little deeper and was not so predictable.

In the beginning of the movie, it is made very clear that Teddy (Kevin Hart) has a handful of learning disabilities. This lead to him dropping out of high school and pursuing his life without a diploma. These disabilities are shown repeatedly throughout the movie making it very clear that Teddy’s school life was the most challenging part of his entire life.

As the movie goes on, Teddy lives life like he has an abundance of money and no financial struggles. However, Teddy’s fake life slowly falls apart and the truth comes out. Troubles with school and his fiancé begin to stand out, and he needs to persevere with the help of his friends and peers to regain his old life back.

In the end, the moral of the movie is to never give up no matter the circumstances and to never try to live a life that isn’t realistic.

Anyone from ages 13 and up would be able to understand the plot and the humor within this movie. This allowed the movie to be viewed by a large variety of people greatly helping their sales.

During this movie, I picked up on some key techniques that enhanced the quality of the film. For example, when a character talked, the camera shot was a close up on the character’s face. This allowed the audience to focus in on what they had to say so they didn’t miss out on any important parts.

Another thing I noticed was how modern technology was used to represent the character’s dyslexia. Numbers and words would “pop out” of the computer or white board and float around the character’s head as they mixed into a big mess. This represented how the character was struggling to comprehend what he was reading and how his brain was viewing the information he took in.

Throughout the movie, the music was used appropriately at different times. For instance, when something in the movie happened the music would match the mood. Happy scenes would have upbeat, triumphant music in the background while tough times would have slow, sad music paired with them.

Sound effects were very involved during the entire movie. Something as big as a crash to as little as a character gulping out of fear was made very clear in order to exaggerate the moment.

The most noticeable thing to me was all of the Christian references throughout the film. In many scenes, characters would do the sign of the cross or point up into the air referring to God. There was also a restaurant in the movie called “Christian Chicken” where the owner held a prayer session with all of his employees and claimed the chicken came straight from Heaven.

Some things the movie struggled with was how predictable it was. For, example the trailers gave away almost exactly what the movie was about. This takes away from going and watching the actual film.

All in all, Night School is an average comedy film that uses a handful of film techniques to perfect the quality of the film. Despite the shallow plot this film succeeded in making me laugh and proved to be a successful comedy.