New High School Theater Program Holds Auditions for Our Town

Back to Article
Back to Article

Alana Rader and Jon Peacock evaluate the actors.

Alex Celico, Staff Reporter

Auditions were held on Thursday, September 27, for Our Town in Babcock auditorium. The show, produced by Jon L. Peacock and Alana Rader of the Colonial Theatre, will be presented on Friday, December 7th through Sunday, December 9th. There was a good turnout of students who auditioned, and all seemed very excited to be a part of the new theatre program.

Freshman Brandon Tallardy (left) and sophomore Abby Casey (right) auditioning for the roles of George and Emily.

Junior Marissa Berardo is thrilled to be in another theatre production. “Over the summer, I definitely missed performing in a play, and I was anticipating being back on the stage. I couldn’t wait for this show,” she said. “The way Jon and Alana described Our Town made me very excited to participate in something so unique. It’s a lot different than any other show I’ve done before.” Berardo also starred in last year’s production of Into The Woods at WHS as The Witch.

Peacock and Rader take notes and provide direction during auditions.

Berardo is not the only student excited for Our Town. Owen Muller, a freshmen, likes to be onstage and was glad when he heard that a new theatre program would be added to the school curriculum. “I like theatre because you get to do what you want and you can express yourself without judgement from others,” he said. Muller also starred in Into The Woods as The Wolf, Rapunzel’s Prince, and The Mysterious Man.

Hope Urbonas, a sophomore, loves being on stage, noting that theatre is a great experience everyone should try. “Basically, when you first get onstage, you feel nervous. But at the end of a production, you feel like the cast is united into a family and you feel so appreciated,” she said. Urbonas also performed in last years’ Into The Woods production as Cinderella. She hopes that the theatre group will help bring out the students’ personalities and provide a space for them to have fun.

Hope Urbonas listens to advice.

Peacock and Rader are pleased to be a part of the Westerly community and plan on keeping the Arts alive at Westerly High School. They will be teaching a theatre class next semester in school which will focus on script analysis and scene work from classical and contemporary plays. Peacock and Rader also plan on directing a musical in the Spring for WHS students.