Annual Washington, D.C. Trip a Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Annual Washington, D.C. Trip a Success

Sophomores admire the FDR Memorial.

Sophomores admire the FDR Memorial.

Marissa Berardo

Sophomores admire the FDR Memorial.

Marissa Berardo

Marissa Berardo

Sophomores admire the FDR Memorial.

Marissa Berardo, Editor

The annual trip to Washington, D.C. makes sophomore year special, and this year was certainly no exception. The two motor coaches departed Westerly High School at 8:30 a.m. on Friday, April 27th and returned on Monday, April 30th, providing three nights and two full days to explore D.C.

Approximately 97 students and 11 chaperones attended this year, divided between the two buses. Mr. Lementowicz organized and managed the trip, as he does every year. The weather cooperated: the temperatures usually hovered in the upper 60s or low 70s during the day, with partly sunny skies.

After eating dinner Friday night at the Union Station food court, the group toured the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam and Korean War Memorials. This area, with its reflecting pool and Washington Monument, provided an excellent opportunity for photos. The group then traveled to the hotel to unpack, relax, and bond with roommates. One disappointment this year: no pool! The hotel pool was undergoing renovations, so the hotel experience was not quite as fun as it could have been.

On Saturday, the group had an early breakfast at the hotel, then visited Lafayette Park and enjoyed a tour of the Capitol. After lunch, it was time to explore Arlington Cemetery and tour several famous memorials, including the WWII, Martin Luther King, FDR, and Jefferson Memorials. There was no shortage of exercise on Saturday; a lot of walking was involved, but the sights were interesting.

A big highlight that night was the evening dinner cruise and dance on the Potomac River. The buffet offered a variety of selections, from barbeque chicken to tacos. While some students chose to dance to a D.J. below deck, many of the students and chaperones opted to sit or stand on the top deck and enjoy the scenic views and pleasant temperatures. Some students dressed casually for the river cruise, but many dressed up.

Sunday was mainly a day to tour museums, with a choice of the American History Museum, the Museum of Natural History, the Smithsonian, and/or the Museum of Air and Space in the morning. During the afternoon, everyone visited the Holocaust Museum, then had dinner at the Kennedy Center.

Sunday evening was very entertaining. Students and chaperones donned their dressiest outfits and attended a murder-mystery theater performance at the Kennedy Center called “Shear Madness.” The performers improvised quite a bit and interacted with the audience members to solve the murder. It was absolutely hilarious! The fun continued on the bus trip back to the hotel (at least on Bus #2), where Mr. Servidio and Mr. Hathaway belted out Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A.,” and Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin’,” among other songs.

Sophomore Kyle Cioffi enjoyed several aspects of the trip. “My favorite parts were the cruise and visiting the Kennedy Center,” he said. “They were both good ways to relax after long days of touring.”

The trip to D.C. each year is a worthwhile experience. The buildings, memorials, and museums bring history alive for the students, and the trip provides them with an opportunity to see the nation’s capital—an opportunity they might not otherwise have. Most of all, it’s a chance to have some fun and bring the sophomore class together as a group.