The Barker

Justice League: Not a Bad Movie

WARNING: Spoilers Toward the end of the Review

Andrew Fiore, Staff Reporter

For what it’s worth, Justice League was not a bad movie. By DC’s standards, it was pretty good. However, there is plenty to criticize. Here is my review, with a character by character analysis.

The Flash: Many people, including myself, were excited to see the Flash finally make an appearance in the show. At this point, Barry Allen had just gotten his powers, so obviously he would be inexperienced. DC overdid that he was a rookie. They made him scared, confused, and they even made him trip while running. That is not who the flash is. When casting was announced, Grant Gustin, who plays the Flash on TV, was not chosen for the part because he is “to happy”. I think Gustin would have been perfect for the role which he has been playing since 2014. On the bright side for the Flash, he had some funny jokes. Hopefully, FlashPoint ,which comes out in 2020, portrays him better.

Cyborg: When I first heard that Cyborg was going to be in this movie, I thought he was not going to do much. To me, he was just the robot guy from Teen Titans Go! ( ugh! Teen Titans Go!). Instead, he was impressive. He played a very significant role on the league, and makes us curious to see his movie (which also comes out in 2020). His backstory was mentioned, and his true power was shown, which really made him seem like an interesting character.

Aquaman: If Cyborg was the most impressive character, then Aquaman was the least impressive. He was portrayed as a drunk fisherman who honestly didn’t do much. Yes, he stopped a flood, but that was really it. He did have some humorous scenes, but besides that, he was forgettable. I am not looking forward to his 2018 movie.

Wonder Woman: Wonder Woman was as great as usual. She seemed the superheroes of old, those role models who saved people because it was the right thing to do. She did not join for revenge, or to avenge a loss, she just wants to help people. She served as a leader of the league, helping Bruce Wayne assemble the league. Her powers were displayed fully, and seemed like some of the most powerful of the group. The only criticism I have for her does not even concern this movie. I just don’t like how Wonder Woman 2 (2019) is going to take place in the 1980’s. Do they really expect us to believe that a hero that wants to help people as much as she does would sit out World War II?

Batman: Batman is another character that was not properly portrayed. He seemed very underwhelming when he fought. He was very regretful after the events in Batman v. Superman, seemed like a burden the entire movie. Batman was not playing the role he should have as leader of the league. Ben Affleck doesn’t even want to play the role of Batman, so there should be another reboot soon.

Steppenwolf: If you are wondering ‘who’s that?’, I don’t blame you. Steppenwolf was one of the most forgettable villians in a movie.  His name is probably only mentioned twice, and there was no real reason to doubt that the Justice League would take him down. Another major problem with Steppenwolf is that we never really know what he wants to do. We know that he wants to pu three ancient boxes together to end the world, but we don’t know why, or how it will end the world. Steppenwolf was just a filler villain in a movie where the villain doesn’t really matter.

Superman: A more realistic title for this movie would have been, ‘Superman and the Justice League.’ Superman really stole the show from everyone else. This was supposed to be the Justice League’s movie, but instead, it ended up revolving around Superman. I understand that he is one of the most important members of the League, but he made everyone irrelevant. The League was struggling against, Steppenwolf, but once Superman came in, it was easy. His super speed made the Flash unneeded, and his strength made Wonder Woman, Batman, Cyborg, and Aquaman useless. I hope in Justice League 2, more emphasis on the rest of the Justice League.

Conclusion: Overall, movie was good. It brought superheroes together, had some good humor, and good action. However, the flaws really damper the movie. Justice League 2 has promise, with a formidable force of villains, but DC really has work to do.