The Barker

There’s a lot to do this Holiday Season

Getty Images

Getty Images

Marissa Berardo, Staff Reporter

Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, the winter solstice, Festivus, or none of the above, the holiday season offers plenty of opportunities for fun. WHS students need look no further than our own town for seasonal activities.

According to the Sophomore Class President Maya Champ, the class of 2020 will be hosting a candy cane fundraiser during the next two weeks. Candy canes bought at lunch can be sent to your friends’ advisories as a surprise special treat.

December is also a great month for movies. Star Wars: The Last Jedi premieres in theaters on December 15. Plenty of other movies will debut as well, but they’re…well…not Star Wars.

For music lovers, Westerly High School hosts a Winter Pops Concert on Tuesday, December 19, from 7:00 to 9:00 PM in Ward Auditorium. The WHS Concert Band and WHS Chorus will perform both holiday-themed and cinematic selections in a decorated environment.

If you’re in the mood for a holiday play, check out The Granite Theatre’s production of A Christmas Survival Guide. Nightly performances run through December 23 on Thursdays through Saturdays at 8:00 PM. There is also a Sunday Matinee on December 10 and 17.

You can also enjoy the holidays from the comforts of your home by hosting a themed party. An Ugly Sweater Party is always a comical idea, and there are certainly plenty of them in the local stores right now. Alternatively, you might consider a traditional party with mistletoe, eggnog, and gingerbread houses.

If you enjoy eating Christmas cookies, but don’t want to spend hours baking a variety, a cookie-swap party would be ideal. Ask each guest to bake two dozen of his/her favorite cookies. At the party, select a couple of cookies from each guest to create your own cookie tray.

What are the holidays without a little gift-giving? Gather your friends for a Secret Santa party or a Yankee Swap. Pick a name from a Santa hat and buy a gift for your friend, spending no more than $10. Wrap it and take turns opening gifts at the party.

If you’re a homebody, gather your friends for a classic holiday movie night.  Consider A Christmas Carol, It’s a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, or The Bishop’s Wife.  Some popcorn and a mug of hot chocolate with marshmallow fluff will complete the experience.

If all else fails, there’s always shopping. Downtown Westerly is decorated beautifully, so shop locally.