The Successes Of The WHS Marching Band

courtesy+of+Google+photos+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Successes Of The WHS Marching Band

courtesy of Google photos

courtesy of Google photos

courtesy of Google photos

courtesy of Google photos

Marissa Berardo, Staff Reporter

After a busy October, the WHS Marching Band has been at a steady pace this month as WHS looks forward to the Thanksgiving Day game.

The band performed in three regional shows last month, and collaborated with Narragansett High School’s marching band in an indoor event on November 2.

On Saturday, October 14th, the Marching Band traveled to King Philip Regional High School in Wrentham, Massachusetts for a “USBands Show.”  Approximately 13 high school marching bands performed from Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Next, Fitch Senior High School in Groton, Connecticut hosted a band competition on October 21. The WHS Band performed along with nine other marching bands (mostly from Connecticut). Westerly fared well, winning awards for best color guard, best music, best overall effect, best percussion and best visual.

Sophomore Jayce DuBrule, who plays the bass drum, said, “It was a new experience for everyone, considering we usually only compete once a year, and I’m glad everyone was a part of it.”

Westerly traveled to New Britain, Connecticut on October 28th for the USBands New England States competition. Unfortunately, WHS had not done as well as their previous performances.

Collaboration (rather than competition) was the key on November 2, when the WHS Marching Band joined Narragansett marching band for an evening performance in the Ward Gymnasium. Westerly marched into the gym in time with a rousing cadence, and Narragansett did the same to a beat of its own.

Narragansett’s band was directed by Mr. Daniel Healey and featured an especially strong brass section, which complemented Westerly’s excellent percussion and woodwinds.  Healey and WHS Music Director Sarah Ferry took turns conducting from a raised platform and introducing the musical selections, which included, “Paint it Black,” “Billie Jean,” “Shipping up to Boston,” “Smoke on the Water,” “Let’s Groove,” “The Phantom of the Opera,” and “Music of the Night,” among others.

The WHS Dance Line and Color Guard also performed at the gym, providing visual interest to the musical selections. A particular highlight was Dance Line’s Cinphany McClure, a WHS senior, who danced solo to one number.

With Spirit Week, the Pep Rally, and Thanksgiving Day game just around the corner, the Marching Band won’t be stopping for a rest anytime soon.