The student news site of Westerly High School

The Barker

Bulldogs Battle Through to Third Loss of the Season

Ryan Holloway's performance, while excellent, was not enough to earn the win for Westerly

Andrew Fiore, Staff Reporter

Coming off of a great win in Providence last Friday, the Bulldogs were hyped for a good fight. However, Friday’s football game against the East Greenwich Avengers really boiled down to the battle between rushing and passing. The Bulldogs, who typically run in almost every play, faced a team that passed a lot.

The Avengers scored on a pass a minute after the game started, but of course, Westerly always fights back. A good example of the Bulldogs’ resilience was when Tristan Turano, despite being attacked by several defenders, trucked through them for a rush of about 15 yards. From there, Ryan Holloway scored a touchdown to tie the game. The Bulldogs then recovered a fumble, and scored to take the lead.

Just when things were looking good, though, the unthinkable happened and the Avengers tied the game.

The unthinkable would happen a lot in this game.

After the Avengers tied, Westerly got ready to receive a punt. The ball dropped and the Bulldogs were leaving the ball alone. In football, if the receiving team does not catch the ball, they leave it alone, and then the other team secures it, where the receiving team then plays it. If someone on the receiving team touches the ball, however, the other team can pick it up and they receive the ball, which is considered live.

A Westerly player was pushed towards the ball, and his foot hit it. East Greenwich then recovered it, and ran all the way to the end zone. The good news is that Westerly blocked the extra point.

The Bulldogs hoped that they would play better after the half, which featured an incredible performance by the band and dance team, including a giant tarp flying and waving over the band as they played.

The second half did not start off in a good way. Westerly was intercepted and East Greenwich scored on a touchdown. The game looked like it was over and the fans were losing hope.

At that point, the momentum of the game was turned upside-down once again. Turano rushed for another touchdown but the extra point was blocked. The score was now 27-20, Avengers, and there was still hope.

With 9:00 left in the third quarter Westerly intercepted the ball. Then the Bulldogs immediately scored. The Dawg Pound was going nuts. Westerly had tied the game!

As if it could not get any better, Westerly intercepted again. This time though, they were held, and did not get a touchdown. They were able take a lead on a field goal, which again made the crowd go wild.

Then a back and forth battle happened between the teams. East Greenwich scored a touchdown to make the score 34-30 after the Bulldogs fought hard to hold them back. Then the Bulldogs scored to make it 37-34. After East Greenwich scored again, Westerly had five minutes to come back from a 4 point deficit.

The unthinkable happened again. East Greenwich caught their own punt. Game over, right?

Westerly managed to do the impossible. The ball was intercepted in the end zone by Ryan Holloway, who rushed for over fifty yards, turning the game around. Westerly came within inches of a first down with about a minute left, but the ball was turned over on downs with a little more than a minute left.

After this disappointing loss, the Bulldogs look to rebound this Friday and treat the fans to their first home victory.