The student news site of Westerly High School

The Barker

Student Council Reaching Goals One Drop at a Time

Recovery+station+at+last+Student+Council+blood+drive.+
Recovery station at last Student Council blood drive.

Rees S Harold, Editor

Westerly High School students are working to save lives all across the state yet again. This Thursday WHS Student Council will host its third blood drive of the year. Student Council runs these events to benefit our school, our community, and anyone who in need. The blood drive has been a staple event of this group for many years now. They have donated thousands of pints and have no end in sight for the number of donations.

It is recommended that each donor comes to school on Thursday fully hydrated and fed. Having a full breakfast is important to being able to donate. Being well hydrated will help the recovery process.  

When asked about the Blood Drive Student Council President Kierra Wilk was optimistic.

“We have had about one-hundred donations so far this year from our previous drives, and we have at least eighty for Thursday. We just need to keep spreading the word and encourage everyone who can to donate” Kierra said.

Kierra also went on to state that for each donation on Thursday $1.00 will be donate to the Dorian Murray Foundation. Dorian Murray was the young boy who lost his battle with cancer last year and captivated the world with his #DSTRONG campaign. Kierra and the entire Student Council team are excited and hopeful for a large turnout.    

Here are some key facts about donating blood from the Rhode Island Blood Center:

• Each donation will collect one pint of blood from the donor.
  • The collection process will collect three separate life saving fluids. The first being the red blood cells which can help Rhode Islanders suffering with sickle cell anemia, Leukemia, and traumas.
  • Platelets are filtered out from the blood which are the component that help blood clot. Platelets are known to the RI Blood Center as “liquid gold” and have a shelf life of less than a week making them in high demand.
  • The third component of the donation is the plasma, which helps patients involved in traumas, shock, and surgeries. Each blood donation saves approximately three lives, and all of the blood goes to hospital patients in the Ocean State.

The Blood Drive will be all day Thursday February 16, 2017 in the Babcock Gym. To be eligible to donate there are a few general qualifications. First the donor must be at least sixteen years of age and weight at least 130 pounds. A permission slip must be signed by your parents if you are under the age of seventeen and can be picked up in Ms. Strafach’s room (B315). If you are seventeen years or older all you need to fill out a one sided permission slip and weight at least 110 pounds. If you are interested in donating please visit Ms. Strafach in her classroom to make an appointment.

If this is your first blood donation here is what you should expect.

• Arrive to the Babcock Gym at the time printed on your pass. You will register and be given a number, be sure take water and snacks when you walk in.
  • Next you will be called to meet with a RIBC staff member who will give you a questionnaire to fill out.
  • Next comes the physical exam, this includes taking your blood pressure, pulse, and temperature.
  • After that you wait for a bed to open up and begin the donation process. The entire process will take about an hour, and at the end you get to eat and drink all the juice, water, and pizza you want.

This event is another example of Westerly High School students striving to make our community a better place to live. If you are interested in helping save three lives or learning more about WHS Student Council swing by room (B315). Advisor Ms. Strafach and President Kierra Wilk would be happy to help you sign up.