The student news site of Westerly High School

The Barker

International Women’s Day

Cassie Mitchell, Editor

Women are strong, powerful and equal. They are ambitious, limitless and invincible. Equality has been a fight for women for many centuries. March 8th is known as International Women’s Day; appreciation for the world’s historic and progressive females. Here are some intelligent, zealous women who have changed the world and are still doing so today.

Emma Watson Age 26

Emma Watson is an actress, a speaker, a feminist and a true believer in equality. She is strong and independent similar to the character Hermione Granger whom she played in the Harry Potter films. Watson is a Brown University alumni and a role model to many.

“I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.” – Emma Watson

Frida Kahlo
July 6, 1907 – July 13, 1954

Frida Kahlo was a renowned painter who was known for her raw and real self portraits. Kahlo’s fearlessness to try something different is an inspiration and has had an impact on beauty and art.

“I paint my own reality. The only thing I know is that I paint because I need to, and I paint whatever passes through my head without any other consideration.” – Frida Kahlo

Miriam Makeba
March 4, 1932 – November 9, 2008

Miriam Makeba was also known as Mama Africa. A South African singer and actress, UN goodwill ambassador, and civil rights activist. Makeba wasn’t afraid to put herself out there and show the world what she had to offer.

“I see other black women imitate my style, which is no style at all, but just letting our hair be itself. They call it the Afro Look.” – Mama Africa

Marie Curie
November 7, 1867 – July 4, 1934

Marie Skłodowska Curie was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist. She conducted pioneering research on radioactivity. She followed in her father’s footsteps and took his place as a professor when he passed away. Curie has shown true intelligence to the world and how people can do anything they set their mind to.

“Have no fear of perfection; you’ll never reach it.””Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood.” – Marie Curie

J.K. Rowling
Age 51

J.K. Rowling is the wonderful author of the Harry Potter series. Her diverse characters inspired millions up millions of people throughout the world to be brave and to stand up for what is right. As Harry is the boy who lived, Rowling is the author who taught and comforted readers through her words.

“We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all of the power we need inside ourselves already.” – J.K. Rowling

Janis Joplin
January 19, 1943 -October 4, 1970

Janis Joplin lived a hard, short life yet she left a mark in today’s society. Her real and powerful voice enchanted people who felt stuck in life. Her soul was as vibrant as the feathers she wore in her hair. A true hippie, Joplin inspired people through her heart wrenching lyrics and hypnotic sound.

“Don’t compromise yourself. You are all you’ve got.” – Janis Joplin

Carrie Fisher
October 21, 1956 – December 27, 2016

Carrie Fisher who recently passed away played the Star Wars character, Princess Leia. Her character was charming yet stood her ground just as Fisher did. Leia Organa became the woman many young girls adored and looked up to because she fought for herself and wanted to take care of situations independently.

“Would it help if I got out and pushed?” – Leia Organa

Malala Yousafzai Age 19

Malala Yousafzai is a survivor of a serious gunshot wound in the head. She was nearly assassinated because of her belief in education for girls across the world. She has a book written along with many awards. After being nearly killed, she continues to speak up against inequality even more so. Malala is talked about in many schools because of her strong beliefs and inspiring effort to give people something as precious as knowledge.

“We realize the importance of our voices only when we are silenced.” – Malala Yousafzai

Thank mothers and aunts, be nice to sisters and the girls in school. Be kind to yourself. Being a women is difficult but and an amazing privilege. Better yet, equality between men and women is amazing. These women listed are some of the millions of women who have helped our world discover, realize and listen. How far people have come with acceptance and knowledge is unfathomable, just as women do unbelievable acts.

Happy International Women’s Day from one humble person to another.