The student news site of Westerly High School

The Barker

The Westerly – Stonington Turkey Day Tradition Lives On!

Stonington gets the ball in the 2015 Turkey Day Game

Nicholas Pagliusi

Nicholas Pagliusi

Jillian Ferarro, Staff Reporter

Throughout the last few weeks of November, students of Westerly High School displayed their school spirit by wearing unique and creative outfits in order to match a different theme every day of the week.

This takes place during an all time favorite few weeks for students; spirit week. But that’s not all. The events students take part in all lead up to one favorite and popular Turkey Day football game.

Everyone from Westerly to Stonington anticipates this exciting season finale. Not only is the football game a tradition to Westerly High School students, but a day to bring our town together.

Every year students, teachers, and members of the town of Westerly come together and witness the intense and massive football game between the Westerly Bulldogs and the Stonington Bears. Being rival schools and teams, students go all out for this game with loud cheers, extravagant signs, and bright school colors all representing each school’s.

The Bulldogs have a lot of pressure on their shoulders for this game, hoping for a win and a school filled with happy, spirited students. With new players added to the team and old ones departed, the team had a great amount of work to keep the score in their favor. The varsity WHS football team as well as the Stonington football team has been preparing for this game throughout the whole season. The game is not only greatly important to the players but also the fans cheering the team on.

The Bulldogs have not taken a win from the Turkey Day Game since 2011 when they won with a score of 15-0. Last years defeat, 25-0 Stonington, made the Bulldogs thirsty for revenge to bring home the winning title.

The Turkey Day Game has been an ongoing rivalry since the early 1900s. The year of 1913 was one of the earliest games for Turkey Day. The football tradition has been occurring for over 100 years which makes the event immensely popular to Westerly residents who have been attending the game for quite some time. People who also attend the game include alumni of Westerly and Stonington who to come together to cheer on and support their former schools.

Stonington High has taken a victory from the Turkey Day game for the past four years. It’s up to the players to determine the outcome of the game this year. With the players effort and dedication to the sport, both schools have an equal chance of earning the winning title for 2016.

There have been many blowouts, ties, overtimes, and even forfeits throughout the years. It is always a chaotic and intense game that includes some ups and downs. During the game and after, students show their team spirit despite the results that follow.

Westerly has pulled out 45 wins, Stonington 43, throughout all the games which have taken place. Stonington has been catching up to Westerly with many recent wins in the past years. Along with tension and rivalry between football players and students who attend the schools, the teams’ coaches are also very competitive about the winning title.

Things are looking up for both Westerly and Stonington for the 2016 Turkey Day football game. Both high schools have an equal opportunity to bring home the winning title to their town this year. Visit the Westerly High School football field on November 24, 2016 Thursday at 10am to watch this exciting tradition unfold.