The student news site of Westerly High School

Left vs Right 12/7

War with ISIS

December 4, 2015

The Left on War with ISIS

Over the past few months the Islamic terrorist group ISIL, now commonly referred to as Daesh, has carried out multiple large scale attacks. The group is believed to have been behind the bombing of a Turkish peace rally on October 10th, which left 97 dead. Daesh also claimed responsibility for the October 31st downing of a Russian passenger jet which killed all 224 people on board. On November 12th they killed 43 people in a bombing in Beirut, Lebanon. Most recently on November 13th, Daesh coordinated a large scale attack on Paris killing 129 people.

There is no question, Daesh is despicable and must be stopped. The problem is that this is an incredibly difficult task to do.Currently, the primary tactic of the United States uses to combat Daesh are airstrikes. The United States has carried out over 6,500 airstrikes on Daesh targets in both Iraq and Syria, killing an estimated 23,000 Daesh members. Many U.S. politicians and military officials do not believe this is doing enough. Senator John McCain has called for sending as many as 20,000 troops to counter Daesh, but President Obama has repeatedly stated there would be no more “boots on the ground”. The President has also authorized sending 100 special operations troops to assist fighting Daesh forces in Iraq. These special operations troops will be working alongside the 3,050 American troops currently located in Iraq.

The current American plan to defeat Daesh is working to some extent, but how long will it take? The United States began the airstrikes over 15 months and through Daesh hasn’t really gained any territory or power, they haven’t lost any either. Is a large scale military intervention the correct answer?

To find the answer first look at the history of the United States military in the Middle East. Many of the large scale U.S. military interventions in the region have been incredibly costly, not only financially, but also in the loss of American and civilian lives. The most notorious example of this being the Iraq War.

Before the 2003 invasion of Iraq, Donald Rumsfeld, the U.S. Secretary of Defense at the time, was quoted saying the conflict “would last five days, or five weeks, or five months, but it certainly isn’t going to last any longer”. In reality, the Iraq War officially ended in December 2011, having lasted over eight years. Rumsfeld also stated the financial cost of the war would be “something under $50 billion”. Once again he was incredibly mistaken. The war cost the United States $1.7 trillion, which is projected to increase to $7 trillion by the year 2053 due to interest rates on borrowed money. In the span of eight years, 4,488 American soldiers lost their lives, along with 134,000 Iraqi civilians. The Iraq War cost the United States seemingly unimaginable amounts and in the end left the region completely destabilized.

Results were similar for the Afghanistan War, which was part of the “War on Terror”. The war began in 2001, following the September 11th attack on the United States. The U.S. withdrew the vast majority of its troops from Afghanistan in 2014, ending the 13 year war. In the end it cost the United States $685.6 billion and over 2,300 American lives.

A war against Daesh would most likely bring similar results. It would cost billions, if not trillions of dollars in a country which has $18 trillion in debt. Any war would also bring thousands of preventable American deaths and injuries. The United States currently has an estimated 22 million veterans, many of whom are not receiving proper healthcare for injuries or mental damage sustained in war. It is estimated 20% of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and/or depression. The United States cannot afford to go to war against Daesh, it must continue to explore other options.

The terrible truth is that sometimes there is no solution to a problem other than war, but in this situation the United States must take every possible opportunity to avoid another potentially catastrophic war. As of right now, the means to finally stopping Daesh may be unclear, but the United States and the rest of world will continue to work together until a solution is reached. Ultimately, the Middle East needs to become stabilized and as time has shown again and again, war is not the way to do this.