The student news site of Westerly High School

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part Two Movie Review

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, released on November 20th, is distributed by Lionsgate

Jenna Murray, Staff Reporter

Just as expected The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2, directed by Francis Lawrence and starring Jennifer Lawrence, was as exciting as all the other Hunger Games movies.

The movie was filled with suspense, horror and even a plot twist. Although, some people may say the movie missed some important parts in the book, it still was a great movie and so far most people have said many good things about it.

For example, The New York Times stated that “Katniss, as played by Jennifer Lawrence over three years and four blockbusters, has evolved from a backwoods scrapper in the first movie into a battle-scarred champion and an exemplar of female power on screen and off — and the battles she’s fought have extended far beyond the fictional nation of Panem.”

This is true, considering how she started out poor and hunting meals for her family using her bow and arrows. Then when the hunger games come around and Primrose is called for the girls tribute for District 12 Katniss volunteers herself in place of her sister. Next, she and Peeta go to the 74th annual hunger games and after brutal weeks of fighting in the arena, Katniss and Peeta win the games after a rebellious act.

The story continues into the second movie, Catching Fire, where past victors are selected to compete against one another for the 75th annual hunger games. Katniss and Peeta are once again in the games, but this time they have allies. Everyone works to keep Katniss alive throughout the movie and eventually they get her out and transport her to the mysterious District 13. Unfortunately, Peeta is left behind and taken by President Snow.

Next, in Mockingjay Part One, District 13 uses Katniss as “The Mockingjay,” a symbol of their rebellion. Meanwhile, Peeta is being tortured and brainwashed by the President to hate Katniss. When District 13 finally rescues Peeta, he completely believes Katniss is a horrible person and wants her to die because of the brainwashing.

Finally, with the release of Mockingjay Part Two the trilogy comes to an end.  Unfortunately for Katniss, there was no easy solutions to the moral and ethical dilemmas created by the rebellion, and she must make some difficult decisions that not everyone will understand.

This has been the best movie that has come out in the series in terms of its accuracy and action. It was a very good movie to see and many people said it was a great movie. Furthermore, the actresses and actors did a very good job with their roles, especially Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen and Josh Hutcherson as Peeta Mellark.

Lawrence had to play a very serious and demanding role and Hutcherson had to play someone who had gone through something terrible and was trying to overcome his “hate” for Katniss.

Overall, Mockingjay, Part Two has made a fantastic end to The Hunger Games series and it is a must see movie! It brought everything together in the series and the roles were very well played. Don’t miss out and go watch this movie now!